The progress of swimming instruction in the schools has been meteoric since the club began. There can be no doubt that the trophies offered from competition in the schools have been a great incentive to young people in their swimming tuition. The school challenge shield was first competed for in 1897, and since that date there has been keen competition between the schools for its possession.
Pupils of Penrith Boys' National School kept cool in an open-air 'classroom' when they visited the bathing place of Penrith Swimming Club, in the River Eamont at Frenchfield. The instructress, Mrs. Cuthbert, demonstrated strokes from the bank.
Credit: Time of Change - Eric Davidson
After the war, in 1922, when the interest in the club was renewed, Mr. W. H. B. Leech, then president of the club, presented a handsome cup for competition between boys, under the age of 14, attending the Penrith Schools.
Later, Mr. T. Dixon, Glasgow, a native of Penrith, presented a shield for competition between the boys of the Boys' National School. Having been created to encourage children in the local area to learn to swim; there was a tragic accident on Lake Ullswater involving local boys from the Boys' National school. Local school Beaconside C of E Primary School inherited the shield from The Boys National School in 1979 when the Boys National School closed its doors for the last time.
In 1930, Mr. R. A. Chadwick, Clifton Dykes, presented a cup for a schools (boys & girls) diving championship.
In 1925, Mrs. Robertson generously presented the Jean Shield to be competed for annually as the school girls' championship - which can still be competed for today.
The ladies' 150 yards championship is the most important event among the fair members of the club, this being competed for annually for a cup presented in 1926 by Mr. S. Sinkinson. The winners of the cup: 1926 Miss J. Walker; 1927 Miss M. Hetherington; 1928 Miss M. Hetherington; 1929 Miss J. Kerr